Pages

Thursday, January 28, 2021

Developing a Reward System for Her Dyslexia Treatment Plan

An Interview with a Dyslexia Therapist


Name:  Kim Clark 

Position & Grade Level: Dyslexia Therapist (CALT)

School: Private, Texas

Subject(s) that you currently teach:  Dyslexia Therapy

How many years in education:  34 years



Question #1: 

Tell us about the impact Fitness Finders product(s) have had on your students or your job.

"Dyslexia is a specific learning disability that is neurological in origin. I provide a systematic service that is therapeutic in nature. It is an educational, structured, comprehensive, phonetic, multi-sensory approach for the remediation of dyslexia and/or written language disorders. Several years ago, I developed a reward system using Fitness Finders products. My students receive different charms as they work their way through this program. My kids LOVE earning and adding these charms to their chain.


There has been one “surprising” charm that has added a whole new dimension to my therapy. A few years ago, I decided to add the “brain” charm into the mix. I only give this charm when a student is really thinking. Maybe they make a connection. Maybe they transfer the information in a lesson to what they are reading. Maybe they figure something out on their own. I even give one if they catch a mistake that I make. They know that they can’t “try” to get this charm. It’s just something I give when they least expect it and they are totally absorbed in what we are doing.  To my surprise this charm quickly became my tool for promoting critical thinking skills. My students feel so proud of themselves when they earn those brains."

 


Question #2:  

What is your wish for 2020?

"My wish for 2020 is that every child leaves my classroom feeling valued. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. We work on their weaknesses in my class, but I want them leaving knowing that they also have a lot of strengths and they are loved and valued."

 


Date:  January 24, 2020 

No comments:

Post a Comment